I. Course Prefix/Number/Title: GER 204 Intermediate German II
Credit Hours: 3 Lecture Hours: 3 Lab hours: 0 Total Contact Hours: 3
II. Pre-requisite: GER 203 or equivalent Co-requisite: None
III. Course Description: Continues to develop understanding, speaking, reading, and writing skills. Classes conducted in German. May include oral drill and practice.
IV. Course Objectives: To assist the student to:
· Understand German on everyday topics spoken at conversational speed
· Further develop conversational competence and circumlocution on everyday topics as well as more complex topics such as hypothesizing
· Develop oral and written ability to use perfect tenses and narrate sequentially events in the various verb tenses
· Facilitate oral and written ability to use commands and narrate subjectively events in the present that express future possibilities, emotions and obligations
· Learn to read and comprehend basic German texts on familiar topics such as health, environment, every day life, current events, festivals, holidays, driving, postal service and telecommunications
· Develop additional geographic, historic, and cultural understanding of the Germanic world
V. Course Content:
· Vocabulary dealing with festivals, holidays, health, environment, driving, movies, current events, politics, the media and natural disasters
· Adjectives used as nouns and after der words
· Unpreceeded adjectives and adjectives after ein words
· Dative and Accusative Prepositions
· Da and wo compounds
· The present perfect tense
· The conditional
· Present subjunctive for situations dealing with doubt, emotion, disbelief and denial
· Cultural information about Luxemburg, Lichtenstein, and numerous other European nations with large German-speaking minorities
VI. Textbooks: Kraft, Wolfgang.
Deutsch Aktuell II, plus student workbook, 4th ed.
Audio and video components are available
for checkout in the
VII. Additional information:
GER 204 is the fourth and final course in the four-course sequence of study of beginning and intermediate levels of German. All courses in the sequence must be taken sequentially.
GER 204 Intermediate German II 1 Effective Date: July 2005