08/98 - PhD - Biomedical Sciences/Cellular Endocrinology
and Reproductive Biology - Eastern Virginia Medical School and
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
12/86 - MS - Biology/Mammalian Reproduction -
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
08/81 - BS - Biology - Old Dominion University,
06/81 - AS - Science - Tidewater Community
College, Virginia Beach, VA
2009 - Present - PROFESSOR, Sciences, TCC
2004 - 2009 - ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, Sciences, TCC
2001 - 2005 - ASSISTANT TO THE DEAN, Sciences, TCC [Description]
1999 - 2001 - SUPERVISOR EMBRYONICS LABORATORY, ODU [Description]
1998 - PRESENT - ASSISTANT PROFFESSOR, Sciences, TCC
1992 - 1997 - LECTURER, INSTRUCTOR, ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR/GRADUATE
FACULTY, TEACHING/RESEARCH ASSISTANT, Department of Biological
Sciences, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia
1989 - 1991 - ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR, Department of Math and Natural Sciences,
Community College, Virginia Beach, Virginia
1985 - 1990 - TEACHER, Science Department, Bayside High School,
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1983 - 1985 - TEACHER, Science Department, Norfolk Catholic High
School, Norfolk, Virginia
1986 - 1991 - COUNSELOR/DIRECTOR, Sea Camps Summer Marine Sciences Program,
College of Sciences Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia
1982 - 1983 - PRIORITY POLLUTANT ANALYST, Applied marine Resources
Laboratory Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia
1981 - 1982 - MEDICAL RESEARCH LIBRARIAN, Portsmouth Naval Hospital,
1979 - 1980 - EDICAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN, Portsmouth Naval Hospital,
1977 - 1979 - FIRST MATE "A" - OCEANS RESEARCH, The Virginia Institute
of Marine Science, Gloucester, Virginia
1970 - 1976 PERSONNELMAN - E4, U. S. Navy
A. UNDERGRADUATE/GRADUATE COURSES
- Biol 484/584 - Advanced Human Anatomy Lecture w/ concurrent Lab (ODU)
- Biol 489/589 - Survey of Human Anatomy Lab (ODU)
- Biol 480/580 - Advanced Human Physiology Lab (ODU)
- Biol 490/590 - Advanced Human Physiology Lecture (ODU)
- Biol 493/593 - Human Neurophysiology (ODU)
- Biol 789/889 - Gross Anatomy Lab (ODU)
B. UNDERGRADUATE COURSES
- Biol 220 - Field Botany (ODU)
- Biol 101/102 - General Biology Lecture w/ concurrent Lab (TCC)
- Biol 108/109 - Biol 108/109 - Life Sciences Lecture w/ concurrent Lab (ODU)
- Biol 116 - General Biology II Lab (ODU)
- Biol 141/142 - Human Anatomy and Physiology Lecture w/ concurrent Lab (TCC)
- Biol 150 - Microbiology (TCC)
- Biol 193 - Wildlife of the Dismal Swamp (TCC)
- Biol 193 - Bird Watching in Tidewater Virginia (TCC)
- Biol 250/251 - Human Anatomy and Physiology Lecture w/ concurrent Lab - (ODU)
- Biol 332 - Genetics (ODU)
- Chem 01 - Chemistry Lecture (TCC)
- Chem 111 - General Chemistry Lab (TCC)
C. HIGH SCHOOL COURSES
- Biology and Chemistry
Michael H. Mitchell, PhD, Robert J. Swanson, PhD, and Sergio Oehninger,
In Vivo Effect of Leukemia Inhibitory Factor (LIF) and an anti-LIF Polyclonal Antibody on Murine Embryo and Fetal Development Following Exposure at the Time of Transcervical Blastocyst Transfer.
- Biology of Reproduction. August.67:460-464. [Full Text]
Mitchell, Michael H., MS, Robert J. Swanson, PhD, Gary D. Hodgen, PhD,
and Sergio Oehninger, MD. [Enhancement of In Vitro Murine Embryo
by Recombinant Leukemia Inhibitory Factor.] The Journal of the Society
Gynecologic Investigations, 1994, 1(3):215-219.
Rose, Robert K. and Michael H. Mitchell. Reproduction in the
Hispid Cotton Rat,
Sigmodon hispidus, Say and Ord (Rodentia: Muridae), in Southeastern
Brimleyana - The Journal of the North Carolina State Museum of Natural
B. PUBLISHED ABSTRACTS
Mitchell M., Swanson RJ, and S. Oehninger. Leukemia
Inhibitory Factor (LIF) and Mouse Blastocyst Implantation
in Transcervically Transferred Embryos. 16th World Congress on Fertility
and Sterility and the 54th Annual Meeting of the American Society for
Reproductive Medicine, October 5, 1998, San Francisco, CA, abstract # O-080.
Mitchell M., Swanson RJ, Jin Kim K, Oehninger.
Enhancement of in vitro murine embryo development (blastocyst formation
and hatching) by recombinant leukaemia inhibitory factor (rLIF). Society
for Gynecologic Investigation: Fortieth Annual Meeting, Scientific
Program Abstracts, #S60:98, 1993.
Mitchell, Michael H.Leukemia Inhibitory
Factor (LIF)Murine Preimplantation Embryo Development, Implantation Rates,
and Skeletal Development. (Doctoral dissertation, Old Dominion
UNFUNDED RESEARCH PROJECTS
- The transcervical & transtubal transfer of
embryos exposed to leukemia inhibitory factor.
- The effects of leukemia inhibitory factor on
mouse oocyte maturation.
- The mechanisms of ovulation - Effects of RU
486 and Progesterone on Ovulation at the Follicular Level.
- The teratogenic effects of various pharmaceutical
on mouse embryos.
- The embryotoxic effects of the components of
embryo transfer catheters.
- Pressures produced in the proximal and distal
regions of embryo transfer catheters.
- Local demographics of rat populations within
a grain facility
American Association for the Advancement of Science
Chair, Selection committee - ADJ faculty - 2003
Chair, Selection committee - chemistry faculty - 2003
Chair, Selection committee - biology faculty - 2003
Selection committee - Associate Vice Presedent for Transfer Ed - 2004
Curriculum & Instruction - 2007 - 2004
Selection committee - Campus Provost - 2004
Faculty Senate - 2007 - present (Co-Chair for campus senate 2004)
Campus Council - 2007 - 2004 (Secretary 2003-2004)
Selection committee - biology faculty - 1997
Selection committee - Upward Bound Counselor - 2007
Nature guide, Camp Young - Norfolk Public Schools grades 2-5 - 50-100 students per week - 2007
Lecture/tour of Anatomy lab/program for high schools
- Western Branch High School, June 7, 2007
- Norfolk Public High Schools, August 1, 2007
Honor Student's Most Inspiring Faculty Member - College of Sciences - Old Dominion University - May 9, 1998.
Student Activities Award of Excellence - Tidewater Community College - April 29, 2000.
Student Activities Award of Excellence - Tidewater Community College - April 28, 2001.
Fish and Game Salvage Permit - August 2007
Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) - The Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine - August 10-12, 1994.
Cryopreservation of Human & Mouse Embryos, The Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine - July 23-24, 1993.
High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) - Waters Associates - November 4, 1982.
Helped with Audubon certification for campus as Bird Sanctuary
Built nature trail on island behind campus
Developed plans and pursued funds for foot bridge to island
Continue on TCC's Wildlife Internet Photography Gallery
Helped to establish a Wildflower and Butterfly Garden behind campus
Cataloging fauna and flora for campus
Cataloging fauna and flora for the Great Dismal Swamp